- Refugee Community Services
- Des Moines, IA, USA
- Part Time
LSI is seeking an evening instructor for our Community Based ESL Refugee Program in Des Moines. Teachers must be available to teach classes Tuesday 6pm-8pm and Thursday 6pm-8pm. This position will have a minimum of 5.5 hours and a maximum of 12 hours a week.
The Teacher supports the Refugee Education Program by teaching classes as assigned, participating in professional development, developing research-based curriculum and providing innovative, high-quality instruction on language, literacy and culture to the Program's students. The Refugee Education Program offers language and cultural training to newly-arrived and former refugees in Polk County, including English language instruction, employment-readiness training, Citizenship preparation, and community-based language and literacy classes.
- Examine and respond to the needs of refugee and immigrant learners in our community by creating relevant educational programming and student-centered curriculum
- Work with a co-teacher to plan and instruct English language and cultural topics to diverse learners
- Facilitate classroom volunteers
- Perform relevant opening and closing duties at the assigned site
- Complete and maintain accurate records of attendance, student assessment, and progress reports
- Engage in professional development opportunities and become members of a learning community to identify and model best practices in refugee education
- Provide and facilitate transportation needs of clients as needed to attend programming
Required: High School Diploma/equivalent and one year or more experience working in the refugee community teaching beginning level ESL and/or literacy.
Ability to maintain a flexible schedule to substitute at other class locations.
Bachelor's degree in Education or related field and one year or more experience working in the refugee community teaching beginning level ESL and/or literacy. In addition, preferred applicants will have language skills to meet the needs of the community served.
This position requires a valid driver's license, auto insurance, a good driving record and the ability to pass an extensive background check including checks of the Dependent Adult and Child Abuse registries, Sex Offender registry and a criminal history check.
At LSI, competitive compensation goes far beyond an hourly rate. For eligible employees, LSI pays for a portion of employee health premiums, offers a monthly wellness discount on health insurance premiums, and contributes to your health savings account each pay check. LSI will reimburse you for mileage, offer a 401k match contribution, and provide ongoing professional development training. In addition LSI offers a generous paid time off package. As a non-profit employer many employees also can qualify for student loan forgiveness programs.
It's their life. It's your career.
Make a difference in both at LSI!